Matt Morrell

Matt Morrell
The Reason I Am Doing This

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Turning point

This past weekend started with an open water swim in the Bay at Aquatic Park. WOW - that was nasty. I had heard a lot of people complain about swimming there, but I didn't know why. I like salty stuff, so I thought this would be a tasty experience. The water was the worst thing that has ever gone in my mouth. However, I did the whole swim, and it was the furthest I have ever gone.

We ran afterwards and I quickly fell ill. I am not sure if it was swallowing too much water or swimming in waves - which I have been told can make you sick. Anyway, I ran/walked/puked for the next 1.75 hours. It was a disappointing day because I really wanted to get a long run in. Anyone that has been around me has seen my spirits sink. My athletic performance and training have been suffering, and I have had a lot of personal stress to deal with. Basically, I was pretty beat up.

Sunday we went for a long bike ride - a 62 miler on the Marin Century course. Michelle and I were both running late and so I drove us out there - after a 20 minute search for my truck keys that were in my pocket. It was really nice to have someone to go with. I had some terrible nightmares the night before and got little sleep.

We got to the parking lot late and I wasn't all there and it took a long time to get started. The rest of the group probably had 20-30 minutes on me at this point. I take off and within 5 miles I catch up to 5-10 of them helping Sara get her rear tire fixed. I stop to lend a hand and put the wheel back on. She makes it about a mile before she flats again. I discover a torn sidewall from a defective tire. Her ride is done. The rest of the group takes off and I hang with Sara till her boyfriend comes to get her. It was heart-breaking to see her ride ended so short since she really wanted to do it. It was going to be the longest ride she had ever done. I waited for a while and then Dave and a few other staff members show up. They tell me to take off just as Gabe was pulling up to get Sara.

I take off and all is well for about another mile. I am really attacking a twisty downhill section and I hear a noise. I decide to stop and check it out, and sure enough I am getting a slow-ish flat. A few more turns and I would have rolled the tire and been writing this from a hospital. I also had a sidewall tear - guess they are catchy. I stop to fix it. Dave and crew catch up. He eats a gu and gives me the package to use as a boot. It works and we are on our way. I ride with Dave and Nick for a good 15 miles or so. I am not pushing too hard and enjoying riding with people. We get to the base of a big hill and my manhood is attacked by a serious leg-shavin', tri-bikin' tri-geek. I chase after him. Dave and Nick think I am a 'tard. I am OK with that. I LOVE to chase. I give him the what-for up the hill and we catch Maria and Erin near the top. I ride with the dude for a while and then catch Les and Sis. I get directions from them and keep going.

I see a group in green and follow them. It was a road that Les had mentioned, but I went the wrong way. I thought I was following Kinion's group, but it was really a group of Taleo riders. They were about a mile ahead of me and it took me 13 miles to catch them. By the time I got close enough to realize it wasn't my guys I was WAYYYY off course (man they were fast!!).

I go to get my paper directions and find that I have lost them too. So....my iPhone and me set off to make it back. I end up all over the place - even on a dirt/mud road for a while. I am scared that I will flat again since I am out of fixing supplies. I end up in a standoff with a crazy looking wild dog that is in the middle of the dirt road. I get off the bike and walk it past him in case he attacks. We give each other the stink-eye but neither of us attacks. Phew.

Back on the bike and navigating my way around. I am making good time and feeling strong. I am out of water and out of food, but still OK. I am about 5 miles from the car when Google Maps keeps putting me into an endless loop. I am tired and frustrated at this point and I keep adding miles. I finally say fuck it and ride my bike on Hwy 101 for a few miles. 2 Hwy Patrol pass me and don't do anything. It was scary, but I didn't want to have to call for a ride.

I make it to the school and I am relieved that people are there waiting for me, especially a couple people in particular. Sara comes in shortly after I do and I find out she got a new tire and did her ride. I am so happy for her! I change, drink, eat and hang out with teamies till everyone finishes. I felt great though. I was super strong on the ride and could have run right after my 85 mile ride. It was very confidence inspiring.

A small group goes to lunch. Fun but awkward. Michelle and I have a fun ride home, filled with r'tard sightings and good conversation and a couple of detours. It was the first time I had really gotten a good chance to talk to her one on one and she is super cool. I am so lucky to have been able to make such good friends this way. I wish I had been a part of TNT for years now.

One additional note - I ran 6 miles yesterday and felt awesome! I feel like my body and mind have really come together and I can't wait for the race this weekend. I got a major source of stress taken care of and all those bad training sessions seem to be coming together.



No comments:

Post a Comment